The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service is accepting applications for those who wish to apply for the position of Staff Sergeant. This position requires unique skills specific to the function of the position and are detailed within the employment ad along with the attached position description.
- Must hold the rank of Sergeant who has served or is currently serving with a Canadian police service.
- Would be considered an asset, having successfully achieved a passing mark on the Sergeant to Staff Sergeant Provincial Examination.
- Personnel records must indicate exemplary status with no form of discipline in the past three (3) years.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
- The primary function of the Staff Sergeant is to direct and co-manage all aspects of the administrative and operational activities of a detachment. The Staff Sergeant ensures that tasks assigned by the Chief of Police are complied with and that accountability is provided not only to the Chief of Police, but all staff members of the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service and the Community, while maintaining the intent of the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service Mission, Vision and Values statement.
- Develop, direct, and manage policy development for the police service.
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of the WTPS Niche RMS database. The Staff Sergeant creates and maintains an electronic filing system and creates and modifies policy for review as required.
- Respond to requests of information externally through various judicial and legislated formats.
- Provide support to the Chief of Police on all administrative and operational duties that may arise.
- Knowledge of First Nation, Provincial and Federal laws and statutes.
- Knowledge of Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service structure and activities.
- Must have awareness of First Nation culture and traditions.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and public relations skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to problem solve and exercise good judgement during assignments.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is a must.
- Must possess a valid class G Ontario Driver’s Licence.
- Pass a detailed background check that includes security clearance checks, credit, and reference checks.
The application is to consist of:
- A single detailed resume with an attached and completed Staff Sergeant Competency Profile.
- A letter of interest outlining your future goals with the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service and reasons for applying for the Staff Sergeant position.
Interested applicants in applying for this position should contact WTPS Inspector, Larry Ross to obtain a Staff Sergeant Competency Profile and an Employment Package. Candidates should submit comprehensive resumes that address their knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position as described. Interviews and testing will be conducted in the selection process; this will be identified to the candidates that are selected to continue in the process.
Employment packages are available for pick up at the WTPS detachment or can be emailed to those interested. Interested applicants are to forward their completed employment package, Staff Sergeant Competency Profile, letter of interest, detailed resume, copies of relevant diploma/certificates, and 3 reference letters to
Attention: Larry Ross, Inspector – Director of Operations
Deadline to apply: November 17, 2023 at 4pm
Late and incomplete applications will not be accepted.