Location: Wikwemikong Unceded Territory
Responsible to: Chief of Police, Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
The Inspector/Director of Operations (Inspector) is a front-line supervisory position and reports to the Chief of Police. The Inspector is responsible for directing the operation and administrative functions of the WTPS in the First Nation of Wiikwemkoong. The position also ensures that responsibilities assigned by the Chief of Police are complied with, and that accountability is provided to not only the Chief of Police, but all staff members of the WTPS and the members of the Wiikwemkoong First Nation. The position works both in consultation with the leadership team and independently. The Inspector is responsible for dealing with member First Nations to ensure local policing needs are being met. The responsibilities of the Inspector are carried out in accordance with the mission, relevant legislation, and regulations, governmental, organizational and WTPS Board policies, to promote efficient, high-quality operations for the WTPS.
Summary of Duties:
- Knowledge of community policing methods, statutes, regulations, policies and procedures and service rules.
- Understanding of crime trends, demographics and geography of the member First Nations and their needs and objectives.
- Directing and overseeing operations and administrative functions.
- Develop, direct, and manage operational policy development for the police service.
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of the WTPS Niche RMS database.
- Create and maintain an electronic filing system and create and modify policy for review as required.
- Respond to request for information externally through various judicial and legislated formats.
- Foster community engagement and develop community policing initiatives for the service.
- Responsible for investigating complaints (internal and external).
- Create and maintain a record of crime trends by demographics and geographic areas.
- Handle investigations that meet a certain threshold and/or assuming control of major incidents.
- Attend the scene and/or supervise major incidents.
- Provide support to the Chief of Police on all administrative and operational duties that arise.
Summary of Qualifications:
- Personnel records must indicate exemplary status with no form of discipline in the past three (3) years.
- Knowledgeable and respectful of the Wiikwemkoong culture, language, and traditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to maintain professionalism and courteousness to members of the public and all justice partners.
- Understanding of how emergency response, assistance to victims of crime, crime prevention, etc., relates to criminal investigations.
- Ability to multi-task in a high stress and time driven environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, to resolve and mediate disputes that arise in the performance of duties.
- Ability to utilize analytical skills in a variety of environments to identify problems, analyse options, and determine the best possible solution.
- Ability to work within a team and independently, manage time efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent computer skills to learn a variety of software applications for the use of daily duties.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications.
Other Important Information to Be Submitted with Your Application:
- Cover letter and resume, as well as three letters of reference must be provided.
- Copy of Ontario Police College Basic Training Certificate Level II or Equivalent.
- Results of OPC Staff Sergeant or Inspector Accreditation a definite asset.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Completed Application Form, Medical and Vision Form and Consent and Release of Liability Form (located at WTPS office or email request to [email protected]);
- McNeil Self-Disclosure Report; and any other documentation for consideration.
Employment packages can be emailed to those interested. Interested applicants are to forward their completed electronic employment package, letter of interest, detailed resume, copies of relevant diploma/certificates, and 3 reference letters to: A/Chief of Police, [email protected]
Deadline for this employment opportunity is July 28, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Apply for this position by July 28, 2023 at 4:00 PM,
Marked CONFIDENTIAL – Inspector/Director of Operation