Position: Human Resource Manager
Term: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory
Reports To: Chief of Police
The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service is accepting employment applications for a Human Resource Manager.
Summary: The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service is looking for an experienced Human Resources Manager. The HR Manager will report to the Chief of Police, work with collaboration with the Staff Sergeant, and Finance Manager. The HR Manager will be responsible for overseeing all of the human resource functions including but not limited to: legislative compliance, labour relations, civilian / uniform recruitment, WSIB / benefits claims, policy development, performance management, mental health and wellness initiatives. The business administrative professional will provide human resource guidance and expertise to all levels of staff within the organization and will be handling sensitive information.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Human resource management and file maintenance.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills to maintain professionalism to members of WTPS and external agencies.
- Strong policy development and writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task, and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to exercise professional judgement, analyze, and solve issues effectively in a variety of situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general HR support and comply with all applicable labour and employment laws.
- Provide direction, expertise, and support to management on employee relations and performance management issues.
- Assist in the administration of compensation and monitoring the performance appraisal process.
- Oversee the recruiting process by preparing job postings, screening selection and selecting resumes, interview process, recommendation of new hires, and on-boarding orientation process.
- Manage pension and benefits, WSIB claims, and long-term disability claims.
- Policy development, prepare, update, amend, recommendation of internal policies and procedures.
- Plan, develop, and implement in-house programs, specific skill-based training.
- Must be willing to attend and participate in all required training programs as instructed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma/Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or related field.
- Membership in the Human Resources Professional Association is preferred.
- Minimum of 3+ years of progressive experience working in the Human Resource field.
- Advanced knowledge of Labour Relations Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Employment Standards Act, and other applicable provincial legislation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications.
- Must have awareness of First Nations culture and traditions.
- Must possess a valid Class G Ontario Driver’s Licence
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be prepared to take an Oath/Affirmation of Office and Secrecy.
- Must be of good moral character, no criminal record, and must pass a background check.
- Must provide a signed WTPS Consent to Security Clearance Investigation Form, which is included in the employment application package.
- Documentation showing you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as approved by the Ministry of Health or have valid exemption pursuant to the Human Rights code.
To apply for this position, interested applicants are to forward their completed employment package, letter of interest, detailed resume, copies of relevant diploma/certificates, and 3 work related reference letters to:
Acting Chief of Police, Jason Spooner
Posting Deadline: April 14, 2023 at 4:00pm
Employment application packages are available for pick-up at the WTPS detachment or can be emailed to the request of the applicant. Please call our office during administrative hours if you require an application. Individuals of Anishinaabe ancestry are encouraged to apply. Application packages will be screened, interviews will be scheduled, and at that time a decision will be made to consider the successful applicant for hire. We thank everyone for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.