CADET – 4th CLASS CONSTABLE
(10) PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITIONS
AKWESASNE MOHAWK POLICE SERVICES
ANNUAL SALARY: $61,495.75- $76,869.69
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service is a progressive, community-oriented police service seeking to identify the best candidate to serve the Community of Akwesasne, employees and visitors. To perform the public duties associated with maintaining and fostering community peace and social order within the framework of the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service (AMPS) Philosophy. To investigate criminal, non-criminal and traffic occurrences within the territory of Akwesasne of which the Akwesasne Mohawk Police have jurisdiction of.
This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to receive basic constable training at the Ontario Police College as a Cadet that will prepare them for a long and rewarding career in law enforcement. Once the recruit has successfully completed and received a certificate from the Ontario Police College (OPC) they will be appointed to the rank of 4th Constable with the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service and subject to the terms in their letter of officer which will include a period of probation.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- Be at least 19 years of age or older;
- Ontario Grade 12 (OSSD) or equivalency;
- Not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted or an absolute/conditional discharge that has not been sealed;
- Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence in good standing; (a copy of your driver’s abstract is also required to be included in your application package).
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to their own safety and the safety of members of the public;
- Be of good moral character and habits, meaning being an individual other people would look upon as being trustworthy and having integrity;
- Certified in Standard First-Aid and C.P.R. (level “C”) is considered an asset;
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office Software;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of the Mohawk language & culture would be an asset.
- Police foundations would be considered an asset.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES OF POLICE OFFICER:
- Preserving the peace;
- Preventing crimes and other offences and providing assistance and encouragement to other persons in their prevention;
- Assisting victims of crime;
- Apprehending criminals and other offenders who may lawfully be taken into custody;
- Laying charges and participating in prosecutions;
- Executing warrants that are to be executed by police officers and performing related duties;
- Performing other lawful duties that the chief of police assigns;
- Enforcement of Highway Traffic Act, community by-laws, all other Provincial Statutes, and the Criminal Code of Canada as well as other Federal Statutes.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality and take an Oath of Secrecy.
- Referring individuals to community services and agencies.
TRAINING AS A POLICE CONSTABLE
12 weeks of basic constable training takes place at the Ontario Police College (OPC) in Alymer, Ontario followed by five more weeks of Post-OPC training at the Provincial Police Academy. This training is designed to provide future constables with a sound knowledge of the laws and procedures a front-line officer is required to apply in the performance of their duties.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities related to the administration of justice, officer and public safety are developed through skill development, classroom discussion, case studies and simulation exercises.
For more information visit: www.opconline.ca
Successful applicants will be required to have a medical/physical examination and a psychological screening completed from a physician appointed by the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service at the applicants’ expense.
All applicants must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
✓ Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
✓ Native preference in hiring.
✓ A clear criminal record check is mandatory and must be inlcuded in your application package.
✓ As a requirement of employment, all applicants must have a Canadian Social Insurance number.
✓ An eligibility list will be created for one year.
Applicants must provide the following information:
- Cover Letter
- A Completed Constable Application that includes copies of;
- Copy of valid Drivers License
- Copy of Drivers abstract (record)
- Written Consent to Security Clearance Check
- CPIC check
- High school and college transcripts
- Copy of Birth Certficiate
- Copy of Indian Status Card
- Copy of First Aid / CPR Certification
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Applicants are to submit their complete package marked “CONFIDENTIAL” to:
Deputy Chief Lee-Ann O’Brien
73 Sweetgrass Lane
Phone: (613) 575-2340
Fax: (613) 575-2334
Application packages may also be submitted via email to:
[email protected] or dropped off in person at the front desk reception of the police station located at 73 Sweetgrass lane, Akwesasne, Quebec H0M1A0.
APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO SUBMIT ANY OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY SCREENED-OUT OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne reserves the right to retract, postpone, or revise employment opportunities at any time.