Operations, Public Safety
Advertisement Number: 41519
Salary(s): XM2 $3,892.53 – $4,655.23 bi-weekly
Closing Date: August 8, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous peopleand persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
To be considered for this competition you must submit an Application Screening Form found at the link below, and aResume. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this form to determine whether a candidate will beinvited for further assessment. Note: You are not required to submit a cover letter, but may be asked to submitreferences, or other documentation at a later point if invited for further consideration.
The Public Safety Division provides strategic, operational, and tactical services and products to law enforcement and government. Reflecting a government commitment to better aligning resources to strategic priorities, including enhancing law enforcement intelligence sharing and operational collaboration, this Division fulfills a range of roles and responsibilities supporting Public Safety within Manitoba including managing provincial policing agreements at the federal and provincial level and providing advice to government on the delivery of policing services throughout the province with the intent of supporting the maintenance of safer communities and neighbourhoods. As a member of the Public Safety Division’s Operations Branch management team, the Executive Director, Integrated Public Safety reports to the Executive Director of Operations. This position will work as part of a collaborative leadership team with various police agencies and is responsible for collaboratively administering an integrated law enforcement team of more than 250 members, as well as providing support to the Executive Director of Operations. The Executive Director requires broad knowledge of Manitoba’s Criminal Justice System and its delivery structure, including a thorough understanding of public safety.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Satisfactory Child and Adult Abuse Registry Checks
- Satisfactory Internal Security Screening
- Ability to travel, using a personal vehicle to stay overnight several times per year
- Applicant must be capable of successfully obtaining federal top secret security clearance
- A post-secondary degree in the social, public administration or a related discipline, complemented by a minimum of five years police leadership experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered
- Experience working in an integrated policing environment and building partnerships with diverse stakeholders
- Strong financial acumen with experience managing program and operational budgets and their activities
- Experience providing leadership and direction in the design and implementation of legislation, policies and programs
- Proven ability as a leader with a commitment to create, support and sustain a diverse environment that enables staff toachieve results and to develop for the future
- Ability to leverage opportunities for innovation, find creative solutions to issues, and successfully manage change
- Managerial experience reflected in responsibility for human resources and financial management including staff supervision, managing budgets, budget preparation and reporting
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Political acumen demonstrated through experience providing strategic advice to senior leaders on complex topics andsensitive issues
The Executive Director will develop, implement, report, and manage Integrated Public Safety Operations in alignment with government priorities and objectives and provide oversight and supervision including operational responsibility for significant complex issues related to public safety and law enforcement coordination. The incumbent will make decisions respecting Integrated Public Safety goals, objectives, priorities and allocations of resources and establish Integrated Public Safety operational plans to meet overall government objectives and allocate budgeted financial and human resources within existing legislative and policy frameworks. Also, they will exercise substantial freedom to shape the organizational design, talent requirements, andculture within Integrated Public Safety Operations and provide fearless advice directly to the Assistant Deputy Minister, ExecutiveDirector, Operations, and/or senior officials of Justice and other departments regarding substantial issues.
Advertisement # 41519
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3L6
Email: [email protected]
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THESUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject lineand/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.